Providing support in most everyday activities, like turning a door knob or giving a hug, the elbow plays a significant role in typical functioning. With this frequency of usage comes a higher risk of injury. So, when an injury does occur, it is best to seek medical assistance immediately. By visiting Mirza Orthopedics to receive a consultation from an elbow surgeon in Suffolk County, you can get the proper treatment to return your elbow to a functional state. The elbow is undoubtedly a complex joint, so seeking out expert care is a crucial step toward recovery.
Components of the Elbow Joint
To understand how complicated the elbow can be, it is essential to know how many parts it is made up of. First, three bones meet at the joint: the radius, the humerus, and the ulna. The bones are connected by ligaments and can easily glide with the help of cartilage on the end of each bone. Tendons connect the bones to muscles, which allow them to move. Finally, the area is surrounded by nerves and blood vessels, which can also be impacted.
This explains how important it is to seek care when pain in the elbow occurs. There are so many components of this small body area, so relying on oneself for help can lead to an improper diagnosis and treatment. It is best to make an appointment with an elbow surgeon in Suffolk County to evaluate this joint.
Common Elbow Injuries
Being composed of a wide range of parts, there are many ways that the elbow can be hurt. Whether the injury is caused by continued usage of the joint or by a singular incident, seeking the care of an elbow surgeon in Suffolk County and starting on a treatment path is essential. Here are some common elbow injuries:
- Tennis Elbow/Golfer’s Elbow: these conditions, both forms of tendinopathy, include damage to the tendons around the elbow. While their respective sports can cause them, repeating the sports’ motions can cause this injury.
- Bursitis: similar to tendinopathy coming from overuse, this is the swelling of one’s bursa due to repetitive motion. A bursa is a fluid-filled sac that provides cushioning within joints, but this swelling can cause pain.
- Stress Fracture: a small break in a bone that is also caused by overuse of an area
- Trapped Nerves: when the radial or ulnar nerve gets squeezed. A burning or numb sensation can occur.
- Strain: the stretching or tearing of a muscle
- Sprain: the stretching or ripping of a ligament
- Dislocated Elbow: often caused by using one’s hands to break a fall, this is when one of the bones of the elbow is moved out of its proper position
- Fractured Elbow: the breaking of a bone at the elbow. This can be difficult to detect since elbow movement may still be possible.
Mirza Orthopedic – Elbow Surgeon in Suffolk County
Whether you have taken a fall, gotten hit, or are just experiencing pain within your arm or elbow, visiting an elbow surgeon in Suffolk County at Mirza Orthopedics is critical. We will assess your injury and set you up on a path to achieve your best recovery. Book an appointment today!